We are a boys primary school with over 430 pupils located in Rathfarnham, Dublin. Our talented teaching staff aims to provide all our pupils with a high standard of education. Through a rich and varied curriculum we aspire to enable each pupil achieve his full potential.
Our school is a Catholic Primary School under the Patronage of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin.
- We aim to foster the values of respect, honesty, courtesy, responsibility, tolerance, and consideration for others.
- We cherish each child as an individual and we strive to develop his spiritual, intellectual, artistic, physical, emotional and social potential.
- We hope each pupil can live life as a child and we aim to equip him to live a responsible life as an adult.
- We have a committed staff who endeavour to create an atmosphere where cultural and religious diversity is respected.
- We recognise parents as the first and most important educators of their own child.
- We encourage communication and parental involvement, based on mutual trust and understanding.
- We cherish and foster our Irish culture.
In July 1971 the late Mgr. O’Donnell, P.P. started the nucleus of a new boys’ school in Loreto N.S., Grange Road, with the kind co-operation of the Loreto Sisters. The Sisters had already donated to the parish, a magnificent site for a new boys’ school.
In July 1973, St. Mary’s became a separate school, still in Loreto N.S. as the new school had not yet been built. Two prefabs were built in Loreto yard and the old school on Willbrook Road was re-opened in 1975 to accommodate two classes. Fr. Paddy Tuohy P.P. was then Manager of St. Mary’s B.N.S.
On January 10th 1977, 243 boys and their teachers-Jim Molloy, Pat Corbett, Fintan Walsh, John Mc Elligott, Kevin Hennigan, Dónall Ó Murchú and Ivan O’Callaghan, moved into the new St. Mary’s.
For 25 years the school flourished under the stewardship of Mr. Jim Molloy who retired in March 1998. He was succeeded by Dónall Ó Murchú who retired in 2005. Tom Mullins took over and retired in June 2016. The current principal is Edward O’Riordan.
The school has grown to 17 classes from Junior Infants to Sixth Class. Also there are 7 teachers working in Education Support, there are 8 Special Needs Assistants, a school secretary, a caretaker and an Administrative Principal. The full time staff total is 35.